Call for applications: Buildings Manager, South Square
Deadline: 15th Feb / Interviews 19th Feb 2019
Living Wage £9 per hour / 12 hours per week
South Square is looking for a highly motivated individual who is interested in supporting a community organisation through a pivotal phase. This role is essential in the day to day running of the centre. It requires strong communication skills, an attention to detail and basic maintenance skills. It involves welcoming and facilitating a range of activities for many different groups, tenants and users. Candidates will be enthusiastic about the thought of contributing to the life of Thornton and Bradford.
The Thornton and Allerton Community Association Ltd (TACA) was constituted in 1985 to renovate South Square and coordinate a range of arts, heritage and community activities. TACA are now in the latter stages of a Community Asset Transfer of South Square from Bradford District Metropolitan Council and hope to secure a 99-year lease on the building. It is an exciting time for the organisation and as part of this Community Asset Transfer we are also fundraising to make significant improvements to ensure the centre is wind and water tight, improve insulation and create a new entranceway.
Duties will include:
- Be a welcoming first point of contact for the centre and be an advocate for South Square and it’s activities.
- Arrange the opening and closing of the building for exhibitions and centre users.
- Ensure the centre (inside and out) meets health and safety requirements. Refer to centre, workshop and building risk assessments and ensure they are kept up to date.
- Take sessional room bookings for both commercial and non-profit workshops and events. Keep the centre internal booking diary and South Square website calendar are up to date. Take payment for room bookings and arrange set-up requirements for room bookings.
- Monitor the building, keep note of damages, make repairs where possible, contact appropriate tradesman for other minor repairs and maintenance, report significant building issues to the Director and board of trustees.
- Deal with general enquiries from groups, public and any potential users of the centre, in person and over email.
- Be the first point of contact for studio holders and tenants. Manage tenant waiting list and studio hand-overs. Support Director with tenancy agreements and leases ensuring they paperwork is signed and up to date.
- Maintain records for and take payments for the Friends of South Square membership scheme
- Ensure the security of the artworks and items for sale. Facilitate sales of artwork in Unit 9, Cafe and Main Gallery and workshops, keep accurate records of sales and total at the end of every month both cash and PayPal sales.
- Be responsible for supervising casual volunteers and providing relevant training.
- Assist with ensuring the policies and procedures for the centre are regularly reviewed and up to date.
- Ensure gas fires, fire alarm and boiler are serviced when required and competitive quotes for buildings, public liability insurance are secured. Test the centre fire alarm regularly.
- Submit meter readings online. Ensure cost effectiveness. Advise tenants on increasing cost effectiveness and energy efficiency.
- Other jobs involved in the day to day running of the centre eg. Ordering of relevant supplies, post distribution to tenants and flyer and newsletter distribution to key local partners.
- Assist Programme Manager with refreshing gallery space in between exhibitions and installation of artwork.
Please submit a covering lettering outlining your interest in the position and your CV including contact details for two references / previous employers to Yvonne Carmichael at email@example.com